Aftercare starts as soon as your tattoo is done. For tips on how to heal your tattoo perfectly your artist will explain these to you at the time your tattoo is completed. Havasu Tattoo artists will cover the area in a bandage or plastic wrap. This covering prevents bacteria from getting into your skin. It also protects the tattoo from rubbing on your clothes and getting irritated.
It will help absorb any fluids or excess ink that leaks from the tattoo.
Wash your hands first with lukewarm water and soap. Then gently wash the tattoo with fragrance-free soap and water.
Pat your skin dry with a soft cloth. You can keep the bandage off at this point to let your skin breathe.
Always use a mild, fragrance-free soap or a specifically formulated tattoo cleaner. Havasu Tattoo Company provides a line of aftercare products.
For the first few days your skin may be red, itchy and sore. You may notice excess ink, along with blood and fluid leaking from your skin. This is normal.
If you begin to experience infection, allergic reaction, or scarring – please consult your Havasu Tattoo artist, or your doctor.
The “Do Nots”
- Do not pick, peel, or scratch your new tattoo.
- Do not under any circumstances use rubbing alcohol, peroxide, or cortisone on your new tattoo.
- Do not use sponges, washcloths, or anything abrasive while cleaning your tattoo. They harbor bacteria and may irritate or harm your tattoo.
- Do not let anyone touch your new tattoo.
- Do not go in the lake, tub, pool, etc. These all contain bacteria.
- Do not expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight. This includes tanning beds. A high SPF sunscreen will protect the crispness/longevity of your tattoo in the future.